If you ask me if I prefer to invest in good shoes or handbags I would probably say both but handbags are my ultimate weakness. I usually splurge on high quality totes and satchels and save on fun clutches, bright cross body bags, and summer beach totes.
1. Big Tote- Perfect for work, business travel, and carrying the kids stuff in style. You can even go more casual than these options above but remember to select a dark colored bag and one that has thick straps. This is truly the "everyday" bag and should be able to fit all the things you carry around during the day as well as withstand everyday wear and tear.
2. Satchel- Satchels are essential because they are elegant yet spacious enough to hold several items. Satchels are also a great alternative when you don't want to carry a big and oversized tote. I like satchels that are made of soft leather and more casual. Also neutral colored satchels (think beige, ivory, nude colored) are more versatile and will pair up nicely with the majority of outfits in your closet. And if you already have a large black or brown tote it is nice to have a satchel in a different color.
3. Clutch- Clutches are fun accessories and can be great for day or night. They are perfect for dinner dates and if you like to hit happy hour after work you can ditch the work tote and switch to a cute and colorful clutch. Clutches are a must have for vacations and I like to put mine in my carry on tote. It is perfect to hold keep precious jewelry and other essential items for the trip and then I use it in the evening once we arrive. There are so many options including metallic and sparkly clutches for formal events, oversized clutches for those times when you need to carry more than your cell phone and lip gloss, and envelope clutches which are sleek and stylish and transition great from day to night.
4. Straw Tote- In the summer I put away my everyday tote and I switch to a straw or raffia tote or even just a tote that is lighter in color that my everyday tote.
5. Ladylike/Structured- Whether you work or stay home every girls needs a polish and solidly-structured ladylike bag. When I think of ladylike bags I think of timeless high quality classics you can pass on to future generations.
6. Cross body- Cross body bags are ideal for quick errands and shopping or even times when you just don't feel like carrying a bag. Go for a bag that is not too big and heavy and have fun with color.
And if you feel inclined to add to 3 more bags to your collection here are my recommendations:
Weekend/Overnight bag- Great option when you take a weekend road trip to the beach or lake and you don't need the carry on roller suitcase.
Formal evening clutch- Go for something with a lot of sparkle, embroidery, beads, and luxury fabrics. This bag should be high glam and make a huge statement.
Gym Bag- A gym bag should be large enough to hold all the essentials and have several compartments so you can easily and quickly find your items.